Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The ice has gone






I received another Christmas card last week, though there may be more in the post. My post has already been redirected to Aoiffe’s address, a bit of a problem when I need something urgently as in the case before Christmas. I discovered that all redirected post gets sent to Swindon sorting office and takes around 2-3 weeks to arrive at its final destination having made three journeys. The card was from Cathy who picked my post up from Aoiffe’s and brought it to me by hand. It rather reminded me on the journey made by a certain bottle of Cointreau.

Having been back at the house to sort out the water damage I only managed to spend the weekend on the boat. The ice had all gone, to be replaced by a strong wind, strong enough to move all the boats that are tied together, so at least it now feels like I am living on water. It was warm, unseasonably warm, so I made the most of it by sitting in the bow of the boat under the cratch and cover, an area I call “the conservatory,” and read a book whilst drinking tea and chomping my way through a piece of cake.


Somebody across the basin started their engine, the first I have heard a running engine during my time here, reminding me that this isn’t the permanent home for my boat, a fact that had slipped my mind as I am kept busy sorting out the house. The following day Rick, my neighbour, kindly gave me a lesson on the engine as I ran mine for the first time, something that apparently should be done once a week whilst moored up, going nowhere and using mains electricity. For somebody who knows nothing about engines and is more used to oiling a bike cha

in, there seemed an incredible amount to take in. There is so much to remember and do, though thankfully generally on an occasional basis. I reflected later that many of these tasks were things that would never bother the hired boat users, but for me it is all part of the steep learning curve.


I have discovered a disadvantage of a cassette loo over the pump-outs that I have never heard mentioned by anybody...anywhere. Having done a poo, each time thereafter you stand there for a pee, the thing is still there staring back at you, hardly a great selling point for the cassette type loos. Hey, I never asked you to read this so stop complaining! Besides, it’s all part of life on a boat and proof it’s not all a bed of roses. Talking of roses that reminds me, the loo never smells bad. Each time it is emptied a small amount of Blue, a type of disinfectant, is put into the empty cassette giving off a rather pleasant sweet smell, so it’s not all bad.


I cycled into Bewdley to attend a Quaker meeting. I feel drawn to the Quakers for their beliefs in living a more simple life, not that I really see much evidence of it mind, but I do realise it is difficult in the society we live in. I was telling a woman how I was clearing out my house and how liberating it was to free myself

from the clutter and the conversation turned to “stuff” in general (a bit of an in word at the moment). I was fascinated to hear her account of when she first moved out to California. She had to get rid of her stuff and ended up with just two bags for all her possessions, but more interestingly she had no keys and remained keyless for some six months. Now that really would be liberating wouldn’t it. To own little is one thing, but to own so little that you have nothing to lock is another. What a wonderful thought.


Sorry it’s another dull entry, but there is still not much to report. To brighten it up a little I have added a few photos of my new home so at least you will have some idea of how I will be travelling in the future.


2 comments:

  1. dad said
    It seems you need a hard hat as well as a life jacket. If that bottle of Cointreau goes round a second time I guarantee it will stop when it reaches me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way I gave the Cointreau to Cathy because I thought it wasn't good to keep all three bottles, and I also thought it would boost her spspirits.....if you follow me.

    ReplyDelete